Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Applesauce in a Rice Cooker


Today, I made another batch of one of John's favorites: applesauce! He loves to eat it as a post-run recovery snack between his hour drive home from work and when dinner is ready.


This is also one of my favorite ways to use the fantastic rice cooker that my parents gave us a couple years ago.

I usually use a full bag of whatever apples are cheapest at the grocery store. (I've tried all kinds, but they all end up turning out tasting just about the same, so why not go cheap?)

John prefers it chunky and with the skins in tact, so that makes my job super easy - no peeling! 

I just cut them in half, and then cut the halves in half:


And then cut the core/seeds part off. 


Here are the cores...they just go into the trash.


Since John helped out by taking photos for me this morning (and what an awesome job he did!), here's one of me! Just keepin' it real... this is what I looked like this morning. Eek.


Once all the apple pieces are in the pot,


I put just a splash of water on top. Only about a tablespoon or two of water is needed.


Here they are!


I usually cook them plain, just like this. But this time, I added some cinnamon. I've also made them with added mango, peaches, or strawberries when they're in season.


I turn my rice cooker on the porridge setting, and press cook. I think it cooks for about 30 minutes, but honestly, I'm not really sure. It automatically turns to the "keep warm" setting when it's done. 

I'm sure this could also be done in a slow cooker, just haven't tried it. (I usually have my slow cooker working on something else at the same time as I'm doing this... today I had a whole chicken a-brewin' away.)


 Here's what they look like when they're done cooking - nice and soft.


I transfer them into a glass bowl:


And mash them up with a potato masher.


And...voila!


It's delicious both warm and cold. I've also heard homemade applesauce works great to make in bigger batches and freeze. I haven't tried that so far. 

I usually just make it on the weekend and give to John every day throughout the work week. He gets about five big servings out of it.

3 comments:

  1. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks air fryer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.. the best keurig coffee maker to buy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. air fryer

    ReplyDelete