Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup


Since the winter season is upon us, I decided to use the rest of the chicken from my whole chicken in a crockpot along with my homemade chicken stock to make chicken noodle soup. It is still too warm here in North Carolina to really need soup to warm you up, but I like to have it on hand in case either of us get sick.



I didn't really use a recipe for this one, and that may have been a bad idea. I used way too much pasta for the amount of broth...which means it's not very soupy at all. It's more like a casserole. Whoops!

My method:

  • Combine about 2 cups of chicken stock with about 2 cups of water
  • Add 4 chopped up carrots (we like them pretty big, as you can see in the picture)
  • Add 4 chopped up celery (I cut them pretty small, maybe 1/2" wide?)
  • Add cooked chicken pieces
  • Add generous amount of sriracha (I normally use Red Hot for this, but we were out!)
  • Add spices. I chose: celery salt, chili powder, and Tony Chachere's More Spice seasoning (new spice to me - had it at my father-in-law's this Christmas and had to buy some for us!)
  • Bring to a boil, then add pasta. I used the entire 16 oz box. Should have probably used less than 1/2 of that.
  • Simmer until pasta and veggies are soft!
We ate two meals of this fresh, and I froze into 4 more meals for later. My freezer is really getting well stocked!

No comments:

Post a Comment