Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Homemade Chicken Stock


Yesterday, I made a whole chicken in a crockpot. Today, the remnants were turned into a super flavorful chicken stock!
As I mentioned in yesterday's post, once I removed the edible chicken, I added some water (I used about 2 cups) to the bones and skin until they were covered, and turned the crock pot back on low.

I let this cook on low all night long. It ended up being about 16 hours once I finally got around to it again. The whole house smelled fantastic. 

I strained the bone and skin pieces from the juice, and was left with very flavorful chicken stock! (This is at least twice as flavorful and thick as the canned chicken broth I usually buy.) I filled two 2-cup rubbermaid containers.

These filled containers are now in the fridge. As they cool, the fat is being separated to the top. I will skim the fat from the top to separate before storing these for future use. The Happy Housewife says that the stock can be frozen for up to 6 months before use.

Some people even have ideas with what to do with the fat, like use it in lieu of oil when sautéing veggies or when making beans. I haven't decided yet if I want to do that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment