Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Cheesy Garlic Bread for the Freezer


I often find myself buying those boxes of frozen garlic bread, to just bake quickly when making a pasta dish. The other day, I realized that these would be a cinch to make myself (and probably a lot healthier).

Ok, these aren't exactly from scratch. I bought the french bread pre-made. I found these "French Sticks", which seemed to be a better deal than the single french loaf. I'm not really sure if this "DIY" method is any cheaper than the boxes you buy in the freezer aisle. Haven't crunched the numbers yet.


I chopped up about 4-5 cloves of garlic, and then mixed it with 8oz of softened butter and some Italian seasoning. (I forgot to get a picture of that.) Looking back, I think I could have used a lot less butter. 4 to 6 oz would have been fine.


And cut the bread pieces in half



I slathered on the butter/garlic/italian seasoning on both sides of the bread. (Whoops, no picture.)

And then shredded some Parmesan using my very fine cheese grater (sorry, no picture of it), along with some mozzarella cheese using my thicker cheese shredder (no picture - do you see a pattern?) 


But here is a picture of the cheese all spread out on the bread!


Then I just folded the bread back together, wrapped it in foil, and labeled it. It fit nicely back in the original bread bag, and into the freezer it went!  

And now we're ready for a future quick addition to a meal. I will just remove from the foil and put on a pan in my toaster oven (cheese side up) at 425 degrees for about 5 minutes. Easy peasy!


Update on 1/19/12:
I've baked two of these mini loaves already for a quick meal addition. So delicious! The only problem is that they're kind of hard to get apart, because the they froze kind of tightly. Next time (and there will be a next time!) I will flash-freeze them first (put cheese-side-up on a cookie sheet and put in the freezer until the butter and cheese is hard), and then wrap them in foil.

No comments:

Post a Comment