Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Jerky Chicken


Last night's dinner idea came from a file of favorite recipes my father-in-law sent to us. Every meal we've ever had at his house is fantastic, so I'm excited to try them out. Some are family specialties and originals, but others are just meals he's liked from other sources. This first recipe I made is called A Jerky Chicken, and originally came from All Recipes. It is a HOT and spicy Jamaican-style dish.

As is standard with me, I upped the spice. The following is how I made it:

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 red onion, diced
  • 3 Tbsp of brown sugar
  • 4 Tbsp of soy sauce
  • 4 Tbsp of red wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp of fresh thyme, removed from stems
  • 1 tsp of sesame oil
  • 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp of ground allspice
  • 2 habanero peppers, sliced (this was a lot! 1 would be plenty.)
  • 2 chicken breasts, cut into pieces
  • cooked white rice
In a bowl, I combined chopped onion:



3 Tbsp of brown sugar:


4 Tbsp of soy sauce:


4 Tbsp of red wine vinegar:


1 tsp of sesame oil (I just can't get over how yummy this stuff smells!):


2 tsp of fresh thyme, removed from stems, and 3 cloves of garlic:


1/2 tsp of ground allspice:


2 habanero peppers (Oh my gosh, these were hot, even though I used green ones! In the future, I think one will do it.)


After combining them all in a bowl, I realized that I was supposed to process in a food processor...


So here they are, in my Kitchenaid mixer. 


I pulsed for a bit, and here is the sauce!


I chopped my chicken into pieces, and put about 3/4 of the sauce on top, then covered and put in the fridge to marinate for about an hour.


Here's the extra sauce. I put it in my fridge while the chicken marinated.


After the hour, I pulled out the marinated chicken.


The original recipe called for cooking the chicken under a broiler, but I decided it would be easier to just cook it on the stove in a pan.


Since it was already cut into pieces, it only takes a few minutes to cook. 


I pulled out the remainder of the sauce that I saved before marinating, and warmed it on the stove in a small pan.


Ooh, look at all those peppers!


When the chicken was ready, we placed it on top of a bed of white rice, and poured some extra sauce on top.


As I mentioned before, this was one HOT dish! Definitely not for the faint of heart.

We had enough leftovers for one person to enjoy. John originally claimed it for himself, but forgot to bring it when he left for work in the morning. Score! I got to snag it for myself. But oh, buddy! I think it got even HOTTER as it sat in the fridge overnight. I was sweating as I finished it up at lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment