Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Southwest Chili Mac in a Skillet


This meal was inspired by a recipe I found on Pinterest a few weeks ago, originating from Picky-Palate.com



It was a great way to use some pre-cooked chicken (from another whole chicken I cooked in my crockpot this weekend), as well as a bunch of veggies.




Ingredients:

  • 8 ounces pasta (I used elbow mac)
  • 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup finely chopped white onion (I used yellow)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet peppers (I used bell peppers)
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
  • 1o ounce can Rotel diced tomatoes, mild (I used real tomatoes and some leftover tomato juice  from the other day)
  • 1 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth (I skipped this)
  • 1/2 cup corn, fresh or canned (I used leftover corn I had roasted on the cob earlier)
  • 1/2 cup white beans, drained and rinsed (I used a can of cannellini beans)
  • 1 Tablespoon chili powder (I didn't measure, but I used a lot more!)
  • 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dry Ranch seasoning from packet
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (I skipped this)
  • Tons of crushed red pepper flakes (this was an addition I made)
  • A bunch of squirts of Red Hot (this was an addition I made)
  • A couple carrots, cut into strips (this was an addition I made)
John and I both really loved this! It turned out very spicy, thanks to all the extra hot stuff I added. 

John, of course, still added some more Red Hot once it was served!


This recipe made a ton. We've already eaten leftovers once; we'll probably eat it one or two more times, and then freeze for later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment