Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Frozen Yogurt Cubes for Smoothies


After noticing that some yogurt in my fridge was nearing its expiration date, I had the bright idea to try to freeze it. It turned out to be a perfect way to spare it from the trash, as well as provide an easy addition to morning smoothies.


In a happy coincidence, I also had leftover fruit syrup from the Overnight Blueberry French Toast I recently blogged about. (It was just too sweet for my taste to use as a syrup for the french toast.) So I mixed my plain vanilla yogurt with the sweet, berry syrup and filled two ice cube trays with the mixture.


I'm sure this would also work just as well with plain yogurt, or even yogurt that's already flavored. 


After filling them up, I popped the trays into the freezer for a few hours. 


Once they were sufficiently frozen and hardened, I took them out of the freezer so I could empty the trays.  I needed to get them back into my jewelry drawer! (I don't typically use these trays to freeze water... they are actually my method for organizing my earrings and necklaces!)


I used a butter knife to pop each of them out of their little cubby.


And then I filled a plastic bag with the yogurt cubes to keep in the freezer.


 I've used these a few times in smoothies, and they work perfectly! I use just one cube along with a small bit of frozen fruit, some flax seed, and a good amount of chocolate soy milk. I have another post to come on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment